Crumpwood Weir

Crumpwood Weir was built in the early 1800's to take the Uttoxeter Canal across the River Churnet. Boats dropped through Carrington's lock to join the river before being pulled across the top of the weir and back into the canal via a flood lock on the other side. The Uttoxeter Canal opened in 1811 but was never profitable. It was closed in 1849, when much of its route was filled in to accommodate North Staffordshire Railway

Crumpwood-Weir-by-Dennis-HolmesCrumpwood-Weir-top-by-Dennis-HolmesCrumpwood-Weir-bottom-by-Dennis-Holmes

Backto Canal page

Copyright Dennis Holmes and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Dennis Holmes 2016 Denholmes.com |Legal Mattters